This article will look at some of the best urban survival gear to have handy so that you can survive an urban emergency. We manage to survive every day, although we seldom notice it.
When we are caught up in routine, things we usually do that entail a keen sense of survival become second nature, like driving and keeping ourselves warm.
But in the absence of resources and routine, are we really prepared to survive the urban jungle? Read along.
Urban Survival Gear: What To Put In Your Kit?
When we think of survival, we hardly imagine an urban setting. There are of course solutions you can prepare ahead, like this 72-hour kit. Read the following, for the cases that you need to have a bushcraft outdoors gear set.
But movies and television shows have shown us time and time again what an urban catastrophe may look like. It could be in the form of natural disasters, riots, or economic collapse. So before you pack that survival kit, here are some quick reminders:
- You don’t need the latest and popular models. Choose something practical.
- Consider choosing lightweight tools that are easy to carry and transport.
- Check the laws when buying things for your survival kit since some knives are not legal in some regions.
- Consider your location when planning a survival kit and do additional research on natural disasters most likely to hit the area.
Some items to include in your urban survival kit:
- Water container
- Lightweight, high-calorie food
- Toilet paper
- Eating utensils
- Extra garments
- Portable pry bar
- Folding knife (check the laws)
- Taser/ Stun gun
- Durable flashlight
- First Aid Kit
- Pen or sharpie
- Emergency blanket
- Work gloves
- Safety goggles
- Water filter
- Poncho or raincoat
- Radio and other communication devices
- Extra batteries
The Best Survival Gear To Have Handy
Now that we know what to pack in our survival kit, here are some other notable items to keep handy.
Survival watches have features that regular watches don’t. This below is one of the best.
Here are some of the reasons why a survival watch is an excellent piece to carry:
- These are ultra-durable, wearable tools made of scratch and shatter-resistant material that’s perfect for rough situations.
- These watches have accurate navigation features.
- Survival watches can monitor health. For people who need a heart rate monitor, this is a valuable device to own.
- Survival watches monitor temperature and warns you if you are still warm enough.
A survival bracelet is also known as a paracord or parachute cord bracelets, like this one.
They can be used in so many ways and are a staple survival tool among hikers, adventurers, campers, and survivalists.
- It can put together materials to create a basic shelter.
- As a fishing cord.
- To bait food and create a trap.
- As a Firestarter.
- As a tourniquet.
- As a tool for repairs.
- To mark your trail.
- As a snare.
These weatherproof and windproof lighters are some of the best urban survival gear to own and they are rather “high-tech” despite their simplicity. Check this one.
It should be durable enough to withstand rough handling. They’re mainly used as fire starters. Here are the three types you can choose from.
- Butane – windproof lighters typically use butane.
- Fluid – This is the easiest to find, making it easy to refill in an emergency.
- Plasma and arc – Li-ion batteries power these lighters. When you run out of battery, however, it loses its use.
These belts are durable enough to carry essential devices close to your person, including firearms, EMS equipment, and others.
- Holds plenty of essential survival gear.
- It is a weatherproof and durable item to keep other essentials close.
- Some materials are made of paracord, so you have alternative uses to the belt.
- It can be used as a survival weapon in itself.
- It can be used as a first-aid tool.
- It can be used for rescue assistance.
The survival chain or a first response concept is a survival tactic that can save lives. Although not a tool in itself, it is information that is crucial to have. It is also through this process that you can make decisions on additional tools to put in your survival kit.
The 5 links:
- Recognize and activate the emergency response system – This is the first response made, like contacting 911 or accessing the nearest AED.
- Immediate CPR – Initiate CPR immediately, and ensure it is the proper and correct way.
- Defibrillation – Upon the arrival of an AED, attach them to the victim’s chest and continue CPR until a professional arrives on the scene.
- Basic and Advanced out of hospital EMS – When EMS personnel arrive on the scene.
- Advanced care and post-arrest care – This refers to in-hospital treatment.
As a survivalist, you are responsible for links 1 through 3, unless you are also a qualified medical professional. When incorporating this in your survival guide, learn the proper CPR method for different age groups and ensure you have communication devices to reach out for help in an emergency.
A survival blanket has many uses besides keeping someone warm, as the name suggests. See this one.
It is also called a space blanket and is used by different industries. It is lightweight and cheap, which means you can keep them with you as an emergency item, even in your car.
- It helps keep someone warm and preserves body heat.
- It can be used to construct a shelter.
- It is used for cooking food.
- It can be used as a flotation device.
- It helps transport water.
Urban Survival Bag
Now that you have the items handy, it’s time to pick an urban survival bag. This military-style one is top rated.
But the first thing to remember when choosing an urban survival bag is: how well this item will blend with the surroundings. You don’t want to attract too much attention to yourself, which means bags that are black, blue, or navy green are good choices for survival bag colors. Avoid a camo and stick to dark colors.
Here are other tips for choosing an urban survival bag:
- Size – How big do you need your bag to be? The items you plan to bring along with your capability to carry it should be factors to consider.
- Compartments – Your bag should have many useful compartments so you can access important items with ease.
- Durability – Since it is a bug-out bag, it’s crucial to choose a bag with durable material to survive rough activity.
Preparation Tips For Urban Survival
Now that you finally have some urban survival gear ready, it’s time to prepare yourself mentally, physically, and emotionally. After all, the greatest battlefield is the mind. To further strengthen your preparation, here are some essential reminders to note:
- Have sanitation items ready – Start stocking on Clorox wipes to ensure there is proper sanitation during an emergency. For scars and cuts, having the best adhesive bandages for your first aid kit can protect your wounds twice as long!
- Be resourceful – It pays to do some research as you prepare items for survival if you can get your hands on first aid classes and books to help with additional survival information.
- Water – If you are informed of an upcoming disaster, make sure you stock up on water and fill all the containers that you can.
- Study the map carefully – Study the chart carefully, so you know where to go when evacuating during a disaster.
- Lighters – You can never have enough lighters. Make sure you stock on lighters as well for survival.
- Important medication – There are a few things to anticipate in an emergency, like dehydration, an upset stomach, and others. Stock up on some of these OTC medications so you can battle these issues in survival mode.
Conclusion on your Urban Survival Gear List
If you’re going through this urban survival gear list, you are most likely a survivalist or at least trying to be one. The nature of an emergency is that it is sudden, with little to no time to react.
How we prepare for these situations speaks volumes of our sense of responsibility to ourselves and the people who depend on us. Now that you have an idea of what to prepare and how to prepare it, the next thing to do is act on it.
If you liked our urban survival gear article, read Best Camping Flashlights.