We love to share these self-compassion quotes with you. Compassion and love are not mere “feel good” concepts. When discovered and live through them, they can make life way more fulfilling. It is not by chance that most philosophical texts, even religions, have compassion in their core teachings.
One may say that compassion is the epitome of self-awareness. These self-compassion quotes will help you think about life and, most importantly, about you.
An interesting approach could be if you acquire self-compassion by reading about it and understanding it with your mind, or by practicing and meditating on the factors that block its manifestation. Is self-compassion inside us and do we need to remove the blockage towards it revealing it?
One can go deep into themselves and understand self-compassion with meditation. In other words, is it a skill we can cultivate, or do we have it already? Allocate some time to meditate on this subject.
What is Self-Compassion?
One may say that self-compassion is and envelops deep love and understanding of yourself and of others. A person can find difficulty in feeling compassionate about other people without first having the ability to love, cherish, and forgive themselves.
But what does that means and what is the outcome of achieving self-compassion? Several benefits of self-compassion are:
- Cultivates forgiveness. Being able to acknowledge a situation and forgive yourself and others for any misfortunes you cause to yourself or others caused to you. Forgiving does not mean forgetting. It means that you move on without the negative feelings from a situation.
- Cultivates love. You understand that all people have -more or less- the same needs and the same worries, in the same way you have. Either these are expressed with extremes or not, depending on the person and of the circumstances, deep down everyone mostly aspires or fears the same things. That common ground -when deeply understood- shows that all people, no matter their ethnicity, color, wealth, etc “think” the same.
- Understanding of interdependance. Understanding how you became what you are, how life and nature works, and how you depend on things, people and concepts to exist, gives birth to how things connect. Thus, you can find yourself not being an “isolated island” but rather something that interconnects with everything else.
- Releasing judgement. As we all tend to fall into the “judgement” trap, self-compassion reveals how pointless that is, since we are connected even beyond our current understanding. Our existential fears are the same existential fears someone 100.000 miles away feels.
- Realignement of life goals. Respecting and loving yourself can drive you to ponder on what matters for you to do in and with your life. Understanding the various imposed concepts, applied by society, makes you to evaluate your energy, your time, your peace of mind and what you do with all these.
- Increased productivity. Yes, that too is a result of being self-compassionate. When you realize that, your mind largely reduces being involved in negative unproductive thoughts. Distraction is reduced, you are more focused and with more clarity. A good number of fears are understood and as such they don’t have the same effect they had on you; like the fear of failure, or -even that- of success!
- Less stress. The reduction of stress hormones through invites learning and understanding. Our feelings of what well-being is are experienced better and we start making more goals towards what we want in life that make us trully happy.
Forgiving ourselves is crucial for our mental and biological health. Many people suffer from anxiety and stress due to constantly being bombarded by ideas that they should feel guilty about everything; even for things they had no idea about.
All of us are more or less ignorant and we learn along the way, through the goods and the hardships of our lives. Every single entity in life is in a constant process of learning through experiences. Understanding life and ourselves never stops as a process, otherwise, we would all be wise enlightened beings.
Well, guess what, we are not. Understanding that we are all learning all the time, can shift your approach on how you speak or manage your spouse, your kids, your colleagues, and people who seem to be different from you in so many other ways.
Having tolerance against different ideas is a “side-effect” of compassion. Having all that understanding takes lots of weight from our souls and from our minds. We become happier, letting more things move in our life but we don’t cling to them.
So, lets read these self-compassion quotes and reflect on them to improve our own lives first and -then- maybe the life of others.
We are each made for goodness, love and compassion. Our lives are transformed as much as the world is when we live with these truths.Desmond Tutu
Self-compassion is simply giving the same kindness to ourselves that we would give to others.Christopher Germer
Being human is not about being any one particular way; it is about being as life creates you—with your own particular strengths and weaknesses, gifts and challenges, quirks and oddities.Kristin Neff
The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.Joseph Campbell
People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive.Dalai Lama
I love myself for I am a beloved child of the universe and the universe lovingly takes care of me now.Louise Hay
The only person who can pull me down is myself and I’m not going to let myself pull me down anymore.C. Joybell C.
If you don’t love yourself, you cannot love others. You will not be able to love others. If you have no compassion for yourself then you are not capable of developing compassion for others.Dalai Lama
Lighten up on yourself. No one is perfect. Gently accept your humanness.Deborah Day
Whatever you do, be gentle with yourself.Sanoben Khan
Having compassion starts and ends with having compassion for all those unwanted parts of ourselves. The healing comes from letting there be room for all of this to happen: room for grief, for relief, for misery, for joy.Pema Chodron
Loving Yourself is Healing the World!Jaymie Gerard
We cannot change anything unless we accept it.Carl Jung
Self-compassion is like a muscle. The more we practice flexing it, especially when life doesn’t go exactly according to plan (a frequent scenario for most of us), the stronger and more resilient our compassion muscle becomes.Sharon Salzberg
Chasing a person doesn’t give you value or build values in you. You earn your value by chasing morality and practicing dignity.Shannon L. Alder
The most powerful relationship you will ever have is the relationship with yourself.Steve Maraboli
There’s no amount of self-improvement that can make up for a lack of self-acceptance.Robert Holden
We are each gifted in a unique and important way. It is our privilege and our adventure to discover our own special light.Mary Dunbar
The worst loneliness is to not be comfortable with yourself.Mark Twain
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best day and night to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight and never stop fighting.E.E. Cummings
When I loved myself enough, I began leaving whatever wasn’t healthy. This meant people, jobs, my own beliefs, and habits – anything that kept me small. Now I see it as self-loving.Kim McMille
Love yourself first and everything else falls in line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.Lucille Ball
Too many people overvalue what they are not and undervalue what they are.Malcolm S. Forbes
Acceptance is the key to everything.Michael J Fox
Genuine self-acceptance is not derived from the power of positive thinking, mind games or pop psychology. It is an act of the faith in the God of grace.Brennan Manning
You’re always with yourself, so you might as well enjoy the company.Diane Von Furstenberg
You can succeed if nobody else believes it, but you will never succeed if you don’t believe in yourself.William J. H. Boetcker
Loving yourself…does not mean being self-absorbed or narcissistic, or disregarding others. Rather it means welcoming yourself as the most honored guest in your own heart, a guest worthy of respect, a lovable companion.Margo Anand
You can’t build joy on a feeling of self-loathing.Ram Dass
There you are. That is quite a bit of food for thought. Beyond these beneficial self-compassion quotes, also have a look at research that supports the importance of it.
Feel free to share your experiences.
If you liked this article about self-compassion quotes, consider checking out our other reviews below: