Greece has these amazing thermal spa locations where the combination of the essence of nature, minerals, and water, mix with the senses and relax and heal you.
These healing mineral springs are thermal water spas. Thermal spas are areas with warm water springs where you soak your body. The effects of that raw nature force come through the pores of your body.
Here is a good number of them where the water is considered extremely good and healing for the body. Almost all are in places of exceptional beauty, green and quite serene.
Thermal Spas at Greek Islands
- Kythnos. Here the thermal spa is inside an old hotel in the city of Loutra.
- Ikaria. The spa is in a semi-building, part cave, facility. The feeling after 20 minutes in the water is quite relaxing. You can second it with the hot room where the water drips quite warm from the walls on your body — a massage and soak at the same time.
- Santorini. This one is not so organized, but the active volcano heats the thermal springs.
Thermal Spa in Evoia
- Edipsos. For long, Edipsos (in Evoia) is a resort for people with chronic issues who went there to cure them and still is one of the most known (bit remote) places in Greece for that.
Thermal Spas at Mainland Greece
These spas below are mineral-rich and some are considered springs spa resorts or are close to one, so you can visit them. Some have waterfalls next to them (read for the waterfalls of Greece).
- Pozar Thermal Baths. Located in Northern Greece, works all year round and is rather famous for its open facilities in winter. The open-air pool (there is an indoors too) is next to the waterfall and the river.
Brave ones try the hot & cold soak in the waterfall. Known from the antiquity, the proper soaking in hot/cold is said to benefit the body. The whole complex is very modern, and you can spend an entire day there. Very close to the ski resort of Kaimaktsalan. It also hosts thermospas hot tubs.
- Thermal Springs of Thermopylae (Fthiotida). Who is that person that has never heard of 300 of Leonidas and the battle of Thermopylae? That is the place. This place hosts a thermal waterfall!
- Kammena Vourla. Equally known for many years (like Edipsos) Kammena Vourla is a well-known little city, famous for its thermal spa.
- Loutra Ypatis (Fthiotida). Located in a luscious green environment in a very serene place.
- Platistomo (Fthiotida). For some reason, the rumor is that the thermal spring waters of Platistomo are curing issues that are related to nutrition/digestion.
- Lagadas (Northern Greece). Same here, as in almost all thermal springs, you can enjoy hydrotherapy treatments of great variety.
- Smokovo (Thessaly). Located on Mountain Agrafa at an altitude of around 450 meters. Amazing green.
- Kanistra (Chalkidiki). Revealed after the residents blasted the rocks and the spring came forth. Very modern with swimming pools, saunas, steam baths, showers, hot tubs, etc.
Thermal Spas in Peloponnese
- Loutraki. A fantastic facility with a large open doors pool and another one equally massive indoors. It is close to Corinth.
- Kaiafas. Close to ancient Olympia and very close to the town of Pyrgos is the thermal spa of Kaiafas. There is an old story about this place. One of the Centaurs (Nessos) washed his wounds, caused by the arrow of Hercules.
- Methana. Still, in Peloponnese, are the thermal spa of Methana. Historians said that a volcanic explosion occurred in the area. Probably they got their qualities to that activity.
- Killini. An accessible tourist location with beautiful beaches and nice resorts, plus picturesque villages, also combine this quality with a healing thermal spa.
Have you visited one of these thermal spas or one that is not listed? Feel free to send it over, and we will fill it in!