When warm weather arrives, so does the canoeing season! You can play in the river with friends or take a scenic trip down the river to get in a bit of a workout and to explore the beauty of your surroundings. The freedom and exhilaration that come from gliding through the water can be pretty refreshing.
Canoeing is the ideal solution when one wants to get away, for a short while, from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.
To have a fun time canoeing, you should be comfortable and prepared. Here are some tips to help you get started:
- Wear a comfortable bathing suit with solid support in case things get rough/ fun (depends on how you look at it) and you get thrown in the water.
- Get a hat to stay cool and to protect you from the sun.
- Make sure that you wear shoes that don’t come off easily. If you would like to wear sandals or flip flops, make sure they can be secured in the back.
- Bring a change of clothes with you so that you have dry clothes to slip into when you leave the river.
- Buy a cooler with wheels on it to make lugging food and drinks easier.
- Tie down anything that you don’t want to lose… period. This will ensure that you don’t lose anything of importance if the canoe happens to tip over.
- Check the canoe before getting it into water to make sure there are no holes or any other signs of damage.
- Make sure that you are in possession of flotation devices, communication devices, and other important gear before getting on the water.
- Load the canoe properly. Keeping the weight low and evenly distributed will allow for maximum maneuverability on the water.
Canoeing can be an exhilarating experience, especially when you are with good friends. If you plan on doing this activity, taking precautions will ensure that you have a safe, fun, and comfortable time.